Those arriving in the UK for work purposes from 1st Jan 2021 will require a work visa under the new skilled worker system.

If you are an EU national and are planning to come and live in the UK for work you now need to be in the possession of a ‘Skilled Worker Visa’. This document provides information on who qualifies for and how to obtain the skilled worker visa.


How to qualify for a skilled worker visa?

  1. You must have a confirmed job offer for a UK employer that’s been approved by the Home Office before you apply for your visa.
  2. Have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer with information about the role you’ve been offered in the UK.
  3. Do a job that’s on the list of eligible occupations. To find out about eligible occupations use the following link:
  4. Be paid a minimum salary – how much depends on the type of work you do.
  5. You must be able to speak, read, write and understand English. You’ll usually need to prove your knowledge of English when you apply.

How to apply for a skilled worker visa?

You must apply online. How you apply depends on whether you’re:

  • outside the UK and are coming to the UK.
  • inside the UK and extending your current visa.
  • inside the UK and switching from a different visa.

If you apply from outside the UK:

  • You must apply online for a Skilled Worker visa.
  • Check which documents you’ll need to apply.
  • Your partner or children will need to apply separately.

Link to apply:

How long it takes

You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before the day you are due to start work in the UK. You may need to allow extra time if you need an appointment to do this. You’ll find out if you need one when you start your application.

Once you’ve applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you’ll usually get a decision on your visa within:

  • 3 weeks, if you’re outside the UK
  • 8 weeks, if you’re inside the UK

If you need to go to an appointment, you may be able to pay for a faster decision. How you do this depends on whether you’re outside the UK or inside the UK.

How much it costs

You, your partner or children will each need to:

  • pay the application fee – the standard fee ranges from £610 to £1,408 depending on your circumstances
  • pay the healthcare surcharge for each year of your stay- this is usually £624 per year
  • prove you have enough personal savings (usually need to have at least £1,270 available)

More information on how much it cost here:

Go back

Sources from